Challenge: Create a quick and intuitive communication & interaction between the store associates and runners.
My Role: User research, personas, wireframe, prototyping, usability testing, interaction design.
Media: Illustrator, Sketch, InVision.
This project aims to design a communication application for Apple Watch in order to enhance the work effiency with quick and intuitive communication between the runners and the store associates. The application provides two modes for the runners and store associates.
User Research > Ideation > User flow > Wireframe > Design & Prototype > (Test > Iterate)
There are two types of workers, which are runners and store associates.
The associates deal with customers and take orders from them, and tell the runners to bring the shoes that a customer asked for.
Currently, the runners and associates have communicated through woki-toki, which often overwhelmns and confused the runners with simultaneous orders in the noisy environment.
- What hinders the runners and store associates from communicating? What triggers the traffic?
By conducting user research, I isolated pain points on the runner side and associate side. Each side has their own pain points.
How could the runner handle multiple orders at the same time? What would be the most efficient way for the associates to send the orders to the runners from customers? Were there repetitive patterns that causes traffic between them?
RUNNER'S PAIN POINTS
1. Sometimes, multiple associates call a runner at the same time, and the runner has to handle too much content. It is tough for a runner to remember all of the infomation about the orders.
2. The store has a noisy and loud environment, so verbal communication through woki-toki is not an effective method for them. The runners often have difficulties to immediately get the information from the associates.
3.The runners sometimes need to write down the information of the orders, but they don't have hands to do that especially when they are carrying other orders.
ASSOCIATE'S PAIN POINTS
1. There aren't enough associates to handle many of customers so they need to quickly take over the orders to the runners.
2. Customers tend to make complaints about not being able to immediately try the shoes on after they order. The associates want the runners to bring the shoes more quickly.
3. Even when the same customers visit the store, the associates need to ask them for their feet size, secondary requirements, including wide/narrow feet, etc.
To solve the pain points from both the associates' and the runners' sides, I decided to create a better communication tool between them.
I first came up with mobile application for that, but did not decided on that for the reason that the runners are mostly carrying the products. They can't easily and quickly take and answer the orders by putting in and out their phones all the time.
Create prompt communication by adopting WatchOS.
I chose WatchOS for communication media since it enables the runners and associates to have a quick communication.
When the runners aren't able to use their hands holding products on their hands, they can still check the infomation by glancing at their watch.
The associates can use the catalog for the customer information, which already has the customer's specific information, such as feet size.